Chaos to Cosmos
The path from chaos to cosmos was discovered by telling one's life story

Friday 24 March 2006

How small is a small kitten?

Khan, Kitty and Balu at a couple of months old

One of the things I have always regretted when I took in these three munchkins, is that in my haste - no, sorry our constant busyness - because I had a lot of help from Holly the hound to maintain the continuous factory production line of feeding, face washing, bum licking (Holly's job) and so forth, in triplicate, is that I did not get to take any photos of them while they were still very small. When I first got them, you could have lost all three in a shoe box, they were so tiny. 

And the three of them are all, still, at five years old, perfectly synchronized. 

Back then, as soon as I'd fed, washed, shown them the bathroom and got them all snuggled back down again with a refilled hot water bottle, it was almost time to start preparing the next feed, ready for when they'd wake again.

It was an experience I wouldn't have missed for the world.

Balu, who was the largest of the three when I found them, was the same length (from nose to bum) as the distance from the base of my palm to the first joint in my middle finger - some 12 cms or approximately 4 1/2 inches.

At that time, Balu had not yet developed any distinct markings. He was white underneath, but just a a soft donkey brown otherwise, which made him resemble a little teddy bear, hence the bearlike name. It was apparent, unusually, at that early age, was that Balu was going to become one big mass of fur.