Chaos to Cosmos
The path from chaos to cosmos was discovered by telling one's life story

Sunday 25 March 2007

Being sick is harder when you live alone

For several days recently, I've only been able to stay awake for a couple of hours at a time - I suppose this is at least a change from the more usual insomnia and disrupted sleep - which has brought home one of the major disadvantages of living alone: nobody to take care of you when you're ill.

The upside of this, of course, is nobody could chastise me either for wasting those precious hours lazing around and nor can they see that nothing here has been washed in days; not pots, not floors, not even me!

Anyway, I do feel a little better this afternoon, but it has highlighted, for me, that I could have done with seeing a doctor, or even going to the pharmacy, but since both are an almost half-day's trip, the fact was that I wasn't well enough to consider making it, but, neither was it the sort of medical emergency that warranted calling an ambulance, for instance. This is a conundrum, I think that many of us living alone are likely to find ourselves in from time to time.

My tendency to bulk shop paid off, since I was not at risk of running out of basics, although, most days, it has almost been too much effort to make a cup of tea, let alone cook food. In my extreme rural location, I don't have neighbours to call on (and certainly none who would notice me by my absence) and, there is clearly more that I need to do to be prepared for such emergencies again.