Chaos to Cosmos
The path from chaos to cosmos was discovered by telling one's life story

Sunday 15 June 2008

Winter in June


After 16 years in the sub-tropical Canary Islands climate, not surprisingly, I find it cold here. It may be June, but the temperatures are what I know as winter. Not to mention cold sensitivity because of being ill. But my mother won't make any concession. She merely snapped that "it's not that bad." Maybe not, to her. 

All I've been able to do to is pile on what clothes I have (not many: I was limited to a 20 kilo suitcase of clothes that are only suitable for that sub-tropical climate anyway) and stay in bed to try to keep warm. I can't go out, I can't afford bus fares; there are not many places one can safely walk. It's too cold anyway. 

The result is that the cats and I (except an odd walk in the garden) are mostly confined to one small room and we don't even get peace and privacy in that.