Chaos to Cosmos
The path from chaos to cosmos was discovered by telling one's life story

Thursday 17 December 2009

Why does IBS have to be so fickle?

IBS, with which I was diagnosed in 1980 and again in 1986, often comes as part of the whole fibromyalgia / me/cfs package and, these buggers are all as unpredictable, unexplainable and illogical as each other. Take this morning: I knew I wanted to go, but made several trips under false pretences before I was able to achieve any success.

Or, as my old granny used to say:

"Here I sit, broken hearted, paid my penny and only farted."

Meanwhile, a painful tightness was gripping me across the middle of my shoulder blades (funny place for bowel fullness to manifest - I suspect it's more a symptom of toxic overload from, er, not having unloaded my toxins), the customary pain in the small of my back had reached screaming pitch, a headache was building and, overall I felt dreadfully nauseous and unwell.

I hadn't been yesterday either (which is nothing unusual), so I'd added prunes and kiwi fruit for my pudding at lunch - on top of my religiously fibre-filled wholefood menu and psyllium husk supplement regime which is what it takes to blast my sluggish digestive system into action. And yet, when I did go finally today, it was akin to a Versuvial eruption that I thought would never end and made me feel weak and unwell in the process. Now I have a stomach ache!

Why can't I get back to the regular routine I had in Tenerife where I ate a fairly normal vegetarian diet, took no supplements, yet went, regular as clockwork, with normal emissions, once a day, usually just after the 2nd cup of coffee?