Chaos to Cosmos
The path from chaos to cosmos was discovered by telling one's life story

Wednesday 24 September 2008

More on the mole massacre

This really has nothing at all to do with blind furry animals, but trust me, you really don't want me to post an accurate photo to go with this post. You expected that the process of mole (the type you have on your skin, not the ones in your lawn) removal was maybe not going to be quite carnage, but was never going to be quite as simple as "advertised", didn't you? Naively, I thought it couldn't be that bad either, but even I hadn't fully taken my ability to suffer side effects and react badly to things into account.

Actually, the whole thing was quite disturbing in a way, because I turned up for my appointment with the nurse, who merely asked me if I'd seen the doctor about the moles. I told her that I had (because I had), explained that he had looked at them with his special tool and declared them harmless, but suggested I make this appointment for their removal, so here I was.

And with that, she just started zapping them with the freeze gun.

This is all very well, since I am honest, but I made the appointment myself, via reception, merely saying that I had discussed this with the doctor and the nurse did the treatment, merely on my say so. Incredible, huh?

Anyway, the nurse did warn me that they would be sore, but it's been well beyond that. For the first couple of days I felt like I had first degree burns and the pain made me hot and sick. I went back to the doctors' surgery and spoke to another nurse in the treatment centre, because the pain wasn't dying down at all, but all she could suggest was that I take paracetamol, which would have been about as useful as a chocolate teapot, given the severity.

Meanwhile, the moles are darker than they used to be, one or two have red rings, but otherwise, for all the nasty burning, don't actually seem to be doing anything yet. They're certainly showing no signs of wanting to drop off as they apparently should and, now I'm wondering how long this is going to take.

The worst of it is because most of them are around my middle, so that until the soreness goes, I can't even wear clothes - slouching around in pyjamas at well below half-mast is one thing at home - certainly not if I have to walk miles with them rubbing and chafing and, it's a 1.1 mile walk each way just to get to the chemist or the doctor, so this is decidedly more than inconvenient.