Chaos to Cosmos
The path from chaos to cosmos was discovered by telling one's life story

Friday 9 April 2010

Cruelty to Children

imageAs this spoof NewsBiscuit story infers, in Britain, one can become snowed under by a deluge of charity collection bags. Far too many for even the most wasteful, compulsive consumer to fill.

So, I know these bags can seem like a bit of a nuisance, but I was frankly shocked and appalled by my mother's reaction to one. The collection bag was from the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC), whom I feel are a perfectly worthy cause. It's always saddened me that such an organization is needed in a supposedly civilised world, which probably indicates that we're not civilized at all. 

Anyway, as she read who it was from, she spelled "N, S, P, C" out loud to herself, missing off the final C, but there was no doubt who it was from.

Then she declared, gruffly, "Oh, I can't stand them", hastily screwed it up and threw it away. There was really notable venom and anger in the way she did it too. The fact that my upbringing can be described by the NSPCC's definition of emotional abuse couldn't possibly have anything to do with it?